Questions and Answers
Still Waters Area History:
History of the City of Dadeville and surrounding communities:
The City of Dadeville was surveyed in 1836 by John H. Broadnax about three years before Tallapoosa County was formed. The town was named for Major Francis L. Dade who was a hero in the Seminole war in Florida. On December 28, 1835, he and his men were ambushed by Indians under the leadership of Osceola. Only one man survived to report the ambush to Fort King. Dade and his men were buried in the Federal Cemetery in St. Augustin, FL.
Dadeville was granted a charter in 1837 during a called session of the Alabama Legislature. The Legislature passed an act of incorporation in 1858, providing for an intendant (or mayor) and five councilmen. The charter was revoked during the Civil War, and the town made application for a new one in 1871. "The Dadeville Democrat" announced the re-incorporation of the town on December 4, 1878. The charter was amended by a bill presented to the Legislature in 1891.
SOME OF THE FIRST FAMILIES IN THE DADEVILLE AREA
FIRST MEDICAL SCHOOL IN ALABAMA WAS LOCATED IN DADEVILLE
JOHNSON J. HOOPER and Simon Suggs
PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN DADEVILLE
Visit the DADEVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY and get acquainted with all features of this great library.
The HORSESHOE BEND REGIONAL LIBRARY, in Dadeville is one of the most complete in the area. It is the home base for a group of eight libraries located in Tallapoosa, Lee, Coosa and Elmore Counties.
HISTORY OF THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN DADEVILLE:
The school opened in September 1910 with 29 girls and 26 boys enrolled on the first day of school. There were four members of the 1910-11 graduating class. The class of 1948-49 were the last pupils to be graduated from TCHS. Pupils of TCHS have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, teachers and possibly "chiefs." A number of them have served in the armed forces of the United States. Many gave the ultimte sacrifice, their lives. Their names are engraved on a marble monument on the northeast corner of Broadnax and Cussetta Street (Courthouse Square) in Dadeville. (Excerpted from an article by Ruth Lockett for The Heritage of Tallapoosa County)
The Dadeville Convalescent Home now occupies the original Tallapoosa County High School Building.
DADEVILLE SCHOOLS ESTABLISHED 1949:
In 1912, Adam Hill Wilder, purchased the franchise for bottling and distributing Coca Cola east of the Tallapoosa River. The distribution route for Dadeville Coca Cola Company included Carrville, Camp Hill, Dudleyille, Easton, Jacksons Gap and Dadeville. Around 1934 the franchise was sold to Dr. Miller, a veterinarian, from Columbus, GA, who also acquired the Alexander City franchise.
In 1945 The Carnation Company built a milk plant in Dadeville. It was located on Carnation Street just off East LaFayette Street. The plant provided a market for dairymen in eight surrounding counties. In 1950 Tallapoosa County had more Junior Dairymen than the next four highest counties in the state. The Plant was in operation for about 25 years. Shape South moved into the old Carnation Company building in the 1970s.
In the 1940s Joe Tom and Hennie Wilson built the Blue Creek Inn, a very popular catfish restaurant, located on Highway 49 just past the Blue Creek Bridge on the lefthand side of the road. The restaurant burned in 1953 and was rebuilt by W. T. and Frank Farrow. They ran the restaurant until 1956 when it was sold to Dorsey Richardson who ran it until 1966, when he leased it to Roy and Vivian Brown. The restaurant burned again in 1968. After that fire it was never rebuilt.
In the early 1960s, Joe Tom and Hennie Wilson built the Blue Creek Skating Rink on the righthand side of Highway 49 across the road from the Blue Creek Inn. It was a favorite gathering place for the young people for several years.
Over the last 50 years I have become well acquainted with the City of Dadeville. When we moved to Lake Martin permanently in 1965, we fell in love with the small and friendly city. It was a different world from the hustle and bustle of living in Birmingham and, in some cases, barely knowing your neighbors names. Even in the mid-1960s the people in a city the size of Birmingham were too busy to pay much attention to their neighbors. The only people that we were well acquainted with were our church family and a few neighbors who lived within a block of our home. Dadeville was totally different. When we went into town to shop for groceries, go to the bank or the hardware store or any other place of business, the local people were very friendly and would always strike up a conversation. Whether they knew us or not, they waved to us when we passed them on the street. We fell in love with Dadeville because of the people who accepted us immediately. We attended church in Dadeville and felt right at home from the very first visit. Nothing has changed. The people in Dadeville are still very friendly and ready to help you in any way they can. My family roots were in the very friendly small town of Lineville, in Clay County.
In 1965 there were several vacant stores on the square in Dadeville. Currently, all of the stores are occupied and doing well. There are now two banks and a number of new stores have been built, along with several restaurants. Most of the older buildings have been remodeled and the town has a really nice look. The area surrounding Still Waters has also changed and improved tremendously over the last few years. Even though there are only about 3,100 people in the City Limits of Dadeville, there are at least 10,000 people who shop there frequently and eat at the many restaurants in town and on the east side of Lake Martin. We have a choice of Chinese, Mexican and everything in between at the eight good restaurants in our area. There are even two new Oyster Bars on County Road 34...one in Duck Crossing and the other next door to Holiday Grocery.
Welcome home to Dadeville, Still Waters and Lake Martin. You made a good choice when you chose to live in our area.